Introducing Spring Intern: Abigael McGuire!

Hello Hera Gallery Members, Associates, and Fans!

    My name is Abigael McGuire, a born Rhode Islander who has recently returned to her native land from the sunny shores of San Diego. I was raised on Aquidneck Island, mostly in the city of Newport. In between long stretches of Rhode Island living, I have spent time living in the Southeast at various stages of my life, though I much prefer the Northeast and Southwest corners of our country.
    I graduated from the University of Rhode Island in 2008 with a Bachelor in Fine Arts in Art Studio, concentrating in Photography and Digital Art, and an Art History minor on the side. Photography was always a passion of mine, and with the guidance of Zoey Stites and Annu Palakunnathu Matthew, I developed my skills and creative eye. The days spent in the ol' Fine Arts Building have a special place in my memories and working in the lab cemented my connection to the student fine art community.
    After several years of assisting and learning about the ins and outs of the commercial photography business, I decided that my passions lie more in the fine art side of things and am glad to be delving back into the local art community through this internship.  I am thoroughly excited to be a part of the Hera Gallery's team whilst looking forward to learning all I can and meeting you all.
    Though I can shoot digital, I much prefer the use of film and believe that it's truly hip to be “square”. I shoot with a Holga and a Rolleiflex and have an amazing internal light meter in my head.  I love shooting informal portraits, desolate/decaying landscapes, and urban lanscapes.  iPhoneography has also been an interesting project that I've been working on, helping me stay incognito when shooting street photography.
    I also love the domestic arts, if you will, and enjoy the creative process behind cooking, knitting, and quilting! Sharing these creations with the ones I love is as rewarding to me as hanging my work on the wall, even if the culinary creations are only fleeting, delicious ones.  I also enjoy British television and high quality coffee and tea.

Cheers!
Abigael McGuire

Check out my film photography at: http://www.keepingfilmalive.com



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artists From The Mill At Shady Lea

CALL FOR ENTRIES: "Landscape at the Edge: Contemporary Views"

Repost regarding installation at Providence Place Mall