Introducing New Fall Intern

Hello! I am Dylan Butler and here is a little bit about me. 
        
          I was born in Warwick, Rhode Island where I lived for the first 11 years of my life. I then moved to Glocester, Rhode Island. From a young age, I always loved to draw and create things. When I was 12 years old my parents sent me to take cartooning and animation courses for young people at R.I.S.D. I loved seeing my ideas come to life and enjoyed group critiques; a concept unknown to me prior. By the time I graduated high school, I knew I wanted to continue learning about art.
          I am now attending the University of Rhode Island and majoring in Fine Arts. On the day of my first class, I was unsure of myself and my abilities. My first class was drawing 1, and my teacher was Gary Richman. He introduced me to the medium of printmaking and completely changed the way I looked at making art. He instilled within me with a confidence that has carried me to where I am today. My portfolio has been growing over the past few years, and it has taken me with it. Printmaking is my main focus, especially Intaglio and Relief. I also love photography and digital art. Art is a way of looking at oneself from another perspective. Art is imbued with the personality of its creator, and it is personally rewarding to create art because it helps reveal processes and thoughts going on that you may have been oblivious of.
          I play in a band called Electric Flood. People in general do not realize how related visual art and music are. Many of the same mechanics that create effective visual art can be applied to create music and vice versa. There is a synergism here that should not be overlooked! Self expression is what makes us human, and everyone needs a creative outlet of some kind.
         Whether I make a lucrative living solely on making art or not is rather irrelevant. I know that I will be creating art of many forms and mediums until my last day, paycheck or not.

Please check out my art page.

and my band's page!


Dylan Butler, After, Lino-Cut, 2009 

Dylan Butler, Wastelands, Etching, 2012

      
        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artists From The Mill At Shady Lea

CALL FOR ENTRIES: "Landscape at the Edge: Contemporary Views"

Repost regarding installation at Providence Place Mall