#meettheartist
Meet Neville Barbour

"I want people to appreciate the syncretic nature of humanity."






Tell us your artist story, some biographical info, when did you decide to be an artist? Why do you make art? Where did you study? Etc.
 I grew up in two separate worlds. Feeling accepted and rejected by both, I wouldn’t change the experience for the world. 

Art has been the only steadfast thing that I’ve held onto throughout my life. In some ways, my commitment to art has taught me how to commit to others. 

I studied at the Academy of Art in San Francisco. 

What do you want people to walk away with after experiencing your work?

I want people to appreciate the syncretic nature of humanity. 

 What influences your work? Why?

History and religion influences a lot of my work. I’m very interested in what “different” people do under similar circumstances. I think there’s more commonality than people would like to admit.

What does it mean to you to participate in Hera an exhibiting artist for the In God We Trust exhibition?

Religion is one of those things that can be essential to a person’s wellbeing yet is often not talked about it. In some ways, it seems that we hide our faith in fear that people will judge our irrational thoughts. After all, religion is one of the few perspectives that can’t be proven. And in a lot of ways, it relies on our blind faith to stay relevant. 

Honestly, I’m just flattered to share my perspective. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artists From The Mill At Shady Lea

CALL FOR ENTRIES: "Landscape at the Edge: Contemporary Views"

Repost regarding installation at Providence Place Mall