#meettheartist
Meet C.B. Murphy

"I am interested in mystery. I don’t like propaganda."


Tell us your artist story, some biographical info, when did you decide to be an artist? Why do you make art? Where did you study? Etc.


I’ve always been creative as far back as I remember. At first I thought I wanted to make films, but then gave that up.  I didn’t get serious about painting though until later in my life. Once I started it has only grown in my passion for it. I also write fiction and it seems to support my painting, going back and forth from words to images.


What do you want people to walk away with after experiencing your work?

I am interested in mystery. I don’t like propaganda. I like to make things that that have many interpretations, even if they are opposites. I think encountering art that is confusing is a positive thing. I do like using representational imagery in ways inspired by circus posters and outsider art generally. I do also like the experiences of delight and awe. I don’t shy away from “dark” imagery as I think it is useful to be reminded we are mortal.

What influences your work? Why?

From the classical art world I would say Surrealism—artists like Magritte and de Chirico. There is a category people use now called “popsurrealism” or “low brow” that takes its inspiration from movie posters, comics, advertisements, signage, street art, movies, anime, etc. I feel like this is the category I belong in if one needs a category. 

What does it mean to you to participate in Hera an exhibiting artist for the In God We Trust exhibition?

I think it’s a good thing to wonder about the universe and how it works. Lots of people have ideas about this, but in the end we know very little. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artists From The Mill At Shady Lea

CALL FOR ENTRIES: "Landscape at the Edge: Contemporary Views"

Repost regarding installation at Providence Place Mall