In the world of art, design, and landscape architecture...

Hey everyone!

What an exciting week it has been! The balls begun rolling in numerous endeavors...I have registered for some great studio and plant science courses for the fall semester, got an exciting summer job at the URI Agronomy Research Farm, gone to my first URI American Association of Landscape Architects (ASLA) meeting, AND talked to the first professional landscape architect about my intern project/show here (and may i mention....he's world renowned)!

At the ASLA meeting, I met my peers in the landscape architecture program. They showed be around the studio, which is beautiful! Its on the top floor of Rodman Hall, and has gorgeous sky lights. There are individual work spaces throughout the large space, designated for each grade level. There were some great projects on the walls including some hypothetical designs for East Farm. They were so impressive! At the meeting, we discussed projects for this month, since it's National Landscape Architecture Month, and earth day is coming up! We are planning on having an informational booth at the earth day celebration on the quad next week.





Check out the American Society of Landscape Architects here



I was able to discuss the plans for my show with some of the upperclassmen. They seemed receptive to the idea and the opportunity it will give them. Im hoping to include 2 or 3 pieces from URI LAR students.
I'm SO excited about the URI Landscape Architecture Series Lecture I attended last night, and the connection I was able to make there! Thomas Balsley, from NY, NY was the landscape architect that came to speak. He has designed 100 parks in New York City, many others throughout the country, and even Korea and Japan. He is a progressive and practical designer of urban parks and spaces. To say a fewthings about his work, he incorporates architecture, furniture design, and sustainable practices into his spaces, and always keeps the client and the people of the area in mind. It makes for some fabulous urban spaces that are both dynamic and timeless. Here are some images:

Curtis Hixon Waterfront Park

325 Fith Avenue NYC

Balsley Park, NYC

Check out the Thomas Balsley Associates website here

I was able to talk to him about my show...he told me he would see what he could get me to put in it! I am looking forward to contacting him and my other invites in the near future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artists From The Mill At Shady Lea

CALL FOR ENTRIES: "Landscape at the Edge: Contemporary Views"

Repost regarding installation at Providence Place Mall