New Intern at Hera Gallery

Hi all! I'm Alison Rice, the new summer intern here at Hera gallery. I hope to meet many of you as we prepare the gallery for the upcoming Money show! So, let me introduce myself. I grew up in Wakefield, RI. I attended South Kingstown High School. I am a transfer student in URI's art department, and will be a junior in the fall. I have studied Engineering, Printmaking, and am getting into Computer Science and Digital art, as of late.

lime sculpture- Alison Rice
relief lino cut

untitled -
Alison Rice
intaglio

Here are some of the prints that I've done in various classes.
To the left is a linoleum block that I completed in Professor Richman's class at URI. To the
right is a copper intaglio print that I've done on recycled copper. I'd also like to tell you about a few of my favorite artists. One is Theo Jansen, who has created "Strandbeests"; wind powered sculpture creatures designed to eventually carry out a "new form of life" and to survive, in herds, on beaches. You can see his very informative and somewhat lengthy talk on TED here: Theo Jansen creates new creatures | Video on TED.com. I am amazed by the complexity of the movement that Jansen creates in these Strandbeests with simple materials. Another of my favorite artists is Micheal Rakowitz. His project, paraSITE has been ongoing since 1998. He has been building custom parasitic shelters for individuals who are homeless. They are made out of plastic bags and other materials. Rakowitz collaborates with the future owner to create a shelter that is unique and usable. These shelters often attach to air vents for purposes of inflation and warmth. I am interested in work that challenges expected environments. Maybe because I work mostly in 2D, I often find that I can really dig sculpture.

Please go ahead and leave comments, I'd love to hear about all of your favorite artists as well!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artists From The Mill At Shady Lea

CALL FOR ENTRIES: "Landscape at the Edge: Contemporary Views"

Repost regarding installation at Providence Place Mall