#MeettheArtist
Meet Rene Reyes, sustainable fashion designer showing their skirt collection paired with their jacket collection at Hera Gallery's fourth annual Art to Table Benefit at the Narraganset Towers on January 24, 2020.


 Tell us a little about you…. 
 I grew up spending a lot of my free time hanging out in my mother’s sewing studio. I’m gladly  carrying on my mothers family trade in working with garments.
The Arts are my life blood and sustainable fashion is the heart.

How/When did you become interested in sustainable fashion? 
I became interested in sustainable fashion after high school when I started modifying my jackets using other garments to alter the cut or texture.
Using thrifted garments as raw material made sense, I progressively got pulled into the rabbit hole of fashion industry history and the benefits of using discarded fabrics.

What was the first sustainable piece of fashion that you made? 
My first sustainable fashion creation started with a denim jacket back in my junior year of high school (2005) It was falling apart so I altered, repaired & decorated it. Through out the years I’ve kept it alive to this day.

Why is sustainable fashion important to you and the planet? 
The effects of the fast fashion industry are much larger than we seem to notice.

As soon as I learned of the scale of these effects especially to our ocean life I couldn’t help but to focus my passion with an aim to leave some kind of impression on humanity and do my part in what I see as my creative life’s purpose.

What pieces will you be showing at the Hera Art to Table Benefit? 
I’ll be debuting my skirt collection, paired with my jacket collection.
Each skirt is made up of at least 3 garments and or “irregular” fabrics.






You can purchase some of Rene's designs here:  https://www.etsy.com/shop/Thehumanwilldesign

For more information about Hera Gallery's Fourth Annual Art to Table Benefit and to purchase tickets to the event visit our website:





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artists From The Mill At Shady Lea

CALL FOR ENTRIES: "Landscape at the Edge: Contemporary Views"

Repost regarding installation at Providence Place Mall