#MeetHeraArtistBarbaraPagh



Tell us your artist story, some biographical info, when did you decide to be an artist? Why do you make art? Where did you study? Etc.
I didn’t have much art background before college though I always liked to make things. I didn’t seriously consider art until my sophomore year at Mount Holyoke College. I took a sculpture class with Leonard DeLonga and his teaching was an inspiration and made me see the world in a new way. I also studied printmaking with JoEllen Knight, became hooked on the process and subsequently pursued printmaking in graduate school at NYU. 

What do you want people to walk away with after experiencing your work?
Most of my prints are nature based, though they are abstracted. I want people to look at the natural world more closely after seeing my work. I also have worked to create larger scale installations of handmade paper based on megalithic structures. With these installations I want the viewer to have an experience of moving through the landscape and experience a sense of contemplation and reverence.

What influences your work? Why?
I’m influenced by personal experiences, travel and the natural world.  I like looking at work by other artists and am particularly drawn to works on paper and process oriented work.

Why are you a member of Hera?
I have been a member of Hera since 1985 when my temporary job at URI became tenure track. A Hera member at the time encouraged me to join. Hera has been an important part of my career since, where I have made friends, experimented with new work free of commercial restraints and helped with all aspects of running the gallery. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artists From The Mill At Shady Lea

CALL FOR ENTRIES: "Landscape at the Edge: Contemporary Views"

Repost regarding installation at Providence Place Mall