For her exhibit in The World’s Smallest Art Gallery on the bicycle path in Peace Dale, Suzi has chosen pieces made of recycled and repurposed materials: plastic wrap, plastic film, mill end fibers, fishing line, and, appropriately, bicycle chain. She has fashioned these castoff materials into two scarves, a purse, a necklace, and a somewhat scandalous apron, an apron Lucy would never have worn to welcome Ricky home.
Curator’s Statement: Suzi Ballenger says about herself, “I am a cook by profession and a weaver by passion.” Could it be that the food she prepares is as spicy, adventuresome, witty, and alluring as the fiber art she makes? The mere possibility makes my mouth water!
* The World’s Smallest Art Gallery is:
· A kiosk on the South County Bike Path (http://southcountybikepath.org). It is located in Peace Dale where the bike path crosses Route 108. The kiosk is a beautifully designed and built structure that has two display cases. Each measures 42” X 41” x 2”. The cases are weatherproof and have sturdy locks.
· A place to show your artwork. Hera Gallery will be managing the kiosk as a place for artists to display their work. You may have a six-week, one-person show in the kiosk on a first come, first serve basis. Work is not juried, but must be “family friendly.” Artists are asked to choose work that does not depict nudity, sexuality or violence. Neither Hera Gallery nor PDNRI will insure the work. Artists display work at their own risk.
· A way of having your work seen by a lot of people. The bike path has very heavy traffic, especially during the Spring, Summer and early Fall. Many bikers, runners and walkers pass by every hour. There will not be sales from the Kiosk, but your display can include your contact information. Hera Gallery will publicize The World’s Smallest Gallery on its website, blog, and Constant Contact mailings. A Facebook page will be developed.
· A way to beautify the community. The stretch of the bike path where the kiosk is located contains other artwork including murals, sculpture, mosaics, and landscape architecture. The World’s Smallest Art Gallery will add to the beautification of this area.
John Kotula is the coordinator of this project for Hera Gallery. If you are interested in showing your artwork on the bike path contact John at firstname.lastname@example.org to get more details an