Personal Thoughts From the Intern, Rebecca


            I take a deep breath to keep my overwhelming feelings of stress down to a manageable level. I locked myself in all weekend and pretty much did nothing but work on my projects because the end of the semester is quickly looming closer and closer. How can I balance and appreciate this exciting time in my life and still take steps to organize my future plans? Being mindful and appreciative of the present moment is something that I've been working on personally for a really long time. And as hard as it is to focus on happiness in the midst of final projects, papers, and my post-graduation future, I am taking a vow (you are my witnesses!) to try to be mindful and appreciative of my life as it is this very moment. And when I take the time for it, it's not hard to think about all that I have to be appreciative of. 
            Here are some details of three paintings that I’m working on for the upcoming URI Senior exhibition that will be held here at the gallery May 7th-21st





I am also in the process of writing an artist statement for my work:

Painting is a process of exploration. Although non-objective in a literal sense, these paintings are concerned with the vague territory between abstraction and the known and seen world. The process of making abstract art for me involves creating a tension between intentional images and pure unstructured abstractions. I like to work between the pure randomness of chaos and the obvious tensions of recognizable image. My work focuses on exploring organic forms in nature, particularly the ways in which they reflect and echo one another in widely varying scale and context, creating an ambiguity which challenges the viewer to bring personal associations to each piece. 

I hope to see you at our opening reception, May 7th 6-8pm!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artists From The Mill At Shady Lea

CALL FOR ENTRIES: "Landscape at the Edge: Contemporary Views"

Repost regarding installation at Providence Place Mall