#FoodforThoughtCreativeQuarantine
From Hera member, Susie Matthews

The current pandemic is causing terrible things to happen to many, many people.  While I do not want to underemphasize the severity of this tragedy, I am finding some beauty and joy during this time, especially on my walks and in my garden.  Sharing this bit of inspiration cannot heal the sick or grow the economy, but I hope it might bring others some happiness.

     
                                                          Spring is always a miracle.  I am awed by the magic and strength of new growth rising up from the ground. The contrast of fresh, soft leaves coming out of hard, dull branches or earth exhilarates me.  One of the earliest plants to emerge in the spring is skunk cabbage (Symplocarpus foetidus). When I looked up the latin name, I learned that the part in the middle is a spadix, and the hooded part is a spathe.  I have made sculptures that look like the spadix. 




This next image is of a tree peony that my mother gave me.    The emerging leaves are a wonderful pink color, clustered fronds with little white hairs on them.















I am also often struck by the contrast between organic growth and manmade forms or human caused interventions. These beautiful mosses swell up between the cut stones of a wall by my studio. I combine felt and ceramic in my work to try and create a similar tension. 





And these lichen grow on the bark and the outermost rings of this tree that have been exposed by a chainsaw, turning that violent act into new life. 
I encourage everyone to spend some time outside, looking carefully and closely. The necessary physical separation from other people is an opportunity to slow down and pay attention to our natural world.



Comments

Donna Gustafson said…
Thank you Susie!
I share your appreciation and awe of the beauty of nature.
Yes! let's slow down and find the abundance of that in our own backyards!

Popular posts from this blog

Artists From The Mill At Shady Lea

CALL FOR ENTRIES: "Landscape at the Edge: Contemporary Views"

Repost regarding installation at Providence Place Mall