#MeettheHeraArtistJasonSmith


 Tell us your artist story, some biographical info, when did you decide to be an artist? Why do you make art? Where did you study? Etc.
 I was always an artist it was a natural gift that was I was encouraged to pursue from a very young age. I decided to take art seriously after completing CCRI and committing to a Fine Art curriculum at URI. Printmaking, drawing and digital art were my concentrations. I make art because it is fulfilling a destiny and it’s a way to express what I read and the awareness of it in engaging art form. 

What do you want people to walk away with after experiencing your work?
I want them to have a profound experience absorbing the layers in the work literally and figuratively and to appreciate attention to detail, the mix of planning, research on topics and rare images for influence and spontaneity, the use of color and the mixing of ancient influences and knowledge with contemporary aesthetics. I want people to feel excited about coming out the next exhibition and bringing new people into the fold.

What influences your work? Why?
 I read books and source a lot of obscure information from the Internet. My work is influenced by studying the unknown, supernatural, ancient knowledge, especially esoteric symbolism and symbols pertaining to old world languages, mythology, religions, lost civilizations, mystical places, archaeological digs that turn up rare artifacts and humanoids that are different from us. As a kid mythology, Sasquatch sightings, aliens, beasts, dinosaurs always fascinated me, and that led to the study of our metaphysical origins and beyond. I try and capture elements of all this in my art in cohesive series that evolve in stages.

What does it mean to you to participate in Hera, either as an artist member OR as an exhibiting artist?
Hera showcased my first solo exhibition in 2014 and allowed me to always belong to something to keep me rooted in the art field despite life’s constant distractions. 
I am forever grateful for Barbara Pagh reaching out to me with the opportunity. 
It’s a warm and friendly community with a rich heritage I enjoy being a part of and the freedom to show whatever you want to express in artistic form is priceless.





To see more of Jason's work visit his website:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artists From The Mill At Shady Lea

CALL FOR ENTRIES: "Landscape at the Edge: Contemporary Views"

Repost regarding installation at Providence Place Mall