#Meettheartist
Meet Sonia Peterson

"I want my work to make the viewer question social norms and ideas, preconceptions and traditions. I want the viewer to ask new questions and seek new answers."


An economist by education, I studied at Moscow State University of International affairs, most of my classmates are working for the Russian state department now. I have 4 citizenships (USA, Israel, Grenada, Russia), so that road was never open for me. I’ve always been more interested in commenting on politics, rather than being involved in them. I worked as a journalist before becoming an artist, that job took me all over the globe, I was immersed in a completely different world.

So many people I met have a narrow view of life, and as they’ve gotten older, they’ve become more and more sure of the righteousness of their opinions. But one who doesn’t question will never learn! That is why children learn so well, they question everything, are not afraid of being wrong. I want my work to make the viewer question social norms and ideas, preconceptions and traditions. I want the viewer to ask new questions and seek new answers. 

Exhibiting at Hera is an awesome opportunity, and I am very thankful for my work to be placed next to so many other talented artists, in such a creative space. The work that is on display is part of a series called ‘In god we trust’, so this exhibition is the perfect opportunity to showcase this piece. 



Visit Sonia's website to see more of her work:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artists From The Mill At Shady Lea

CALL FOR ENTRIES: "Landscape at the Edge: Contemporary Views"

Repost regarding installation at Providence Place Mall