#MeetOurArtistsMonday

Meet Roberta Richman, one of the founders of Hera Gallery, Roberta's landscape inspired imagery is now on View June 15-July 20, 2019 in our current Exhibition, Something Between Us. Opening reception is June 22, 6-8pm.




Tell us your artist story, some biographical info, when did you decide to be an artist? Why do you make art? Where did you study? Etc.

I was about 13 when I first discovered how much I loved painting and drawing when I started taking classes at the local Y. I majored in art at Brooklyn College and discovered etching, spent two years at Pratt Graphic Art Center using their workshop and got my MFA in printmaking at Indiana University. At Brooklyn I got to take classes with artists supplementing their work with teaching, notably Ad Rhinehardt, Jimmy Ernst, Philip Pearlstein.

What do you want people to walk away with after experiencing your work?

I don't think much about how others respond to my work. Making art satisfies some need I have to speak to myself more than to others. I can tell you more about what my art is not....It is not political or sentimental. I am not sending a message. For me making paintings is a visual experience of evolving color, of shape and a feeling of landscape, of the natural world but not of a particular place or time.

What influences your work? Why?

I am influenced by the world around me....the natural landscapes I find myself in when I travel but also by places I'm in frequently. I take photographs when I'm outdoors and use what I've seen even though the final work never resembles the original place. I'm also influenced by looking at the art of other people.....especially the abstract impressionists who came to fame in the 1950s and 60s. I especially love the paintings of Mark Rothko


Why are you a member of Hera?

At first, Hera was a great way to meet and collaborate with other artists and of course, to show my work without judgement of dealers or gallery owners. 
Later, when my work and career kept me from being in the studio as often as I had been, Hera allowed me to stay connected to my identity as an artist. Now, in retirement and back in the studio, although not as often as I had imagined I would be, being a Hera member gives me the opportunity to show at my own pace and the chance to meet and see the work of new younger artists who I would otherwise not get to know. Hera has been an important part of my life. I'm grateful for all its given me.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artists From The Mill At Shady Lea

CALL FOR ENTRIES: "Landscape at the Edge: Contemporary Views"

Repost regarding installation at Providence Place Mall