#Meettheartist
Meet Bianca, owner and designer of Clothes Horse Clothing who will be sharing some of her designs at our Fourth Annual Art to Table Benefit on January 24, 2020 at the Narragansett Towers.





Tell us a little about you…. 
I’ve been designing since I was a child. Growing up, my mom provided me with all
types of materials to keep me busy. She was an artist, and naturally I gravitated
towards imaginative uses of my free time. I started by making myself hair accessories
from recyclables and hot glue- things that I had lying around. In college, I began to
transform these materials into larger, more sculptural pieces that would eventually be
used in runway shows and editorial shoots. Teaching myself how to sew became the
next challenge- watching youtube videos and ruining yard after yard of found fabrics. I
earned a BFA in ceramics and art education while teaching myself the craft, and later
supplemented my self-taught knowledge with the Master Seamstress program at URI. I
took an interest in creating my own textiles early on, and completed a Masters in
Education with a concentration in graphic design which has informed my current textile
design work. I am currently teaching art full time at an area high school, and produce
my work in small batches for sale on my website and etsy shop.


How/When did you become interested in sustainable fashion?
Early on, it was certainly a convenience choice. I had lots of found materials, and I recognized at an early age the abundance of materials that already existed in my small sphere. I loved the quality of found materials - the wow factor that a piece could garner
with layers of unrecognizable materials. As I grew up and became more of an activist, I quickly recognized the role that I played as an individual, a consumer and a maker. I became vegan, recognizing the undeniable links between animal agriculture and the effects of animal products on our health, wellness and planet. I’ve consciously omitted
all animal products from my collections and moved towards fabrics that are ethically sourced or produced. I have a tendency to work with deadstock fabrics, and have recently begun printing my own textiles in small batches with the help of a US based printing service. Being in control of production with little to no fabric waste has become
a pillar of my process. Due to the nature of my deadstock materials, most of my work is one of a kind- I’ve really turned away from traditional fashion production models to avoid wasteful over production and over purchasing of materials. My concentration has
shifted to entirely one of a kind jackets and custom printed hair accessories. Most of my work is now ‘one size fits most’ which creates less waste and provides access to a
larger spectrum of potential buyers. 

 What was the first sustainable piece of fashion that you made?
I was absolutely OBSESSED with headdresses. I created this wild multi-horn
headdress using paper cups and wall paper. We used it in one of the first concept photoshoots that I had ever participated in. Finding it years later, I felt good knowing that it could be recycled haha

Why is sustainable fashion important to you and the planet?
Everybody likes to point fingers. It’s this persons fault, it’s that persons fault. At the end of the day, we each have a choice to make. It’s the collective actions of individuals thatcreate change. It depends on us to create the change that we wish to see in the world. We are at a crucial point in human history - too many people with a demand for too
many things. A lust for material need that has created a throw away market of poorly made products that pollute the earth. Knowing where your clothing comes from, how it’s made, how to properly care for it and what to do with it when you’re done with it is
one of several very large moving puzzle pieces that need be addressed to correct the damage done to our planet, our communities and our craftspeople. Giving new life to existing materials is one step in changing the way we view our products. Purchasing
less volume, and instead opting to invest in higher quality pieces by the hardworking people in our communities is essential. I think it’s important for people to know what our hands are capable of- how much ‘stuff’ we already have, and what we can do to reinvent with what we have already created.

What pieces will you be showing at the Hera Art to Table Benefit?
I will be showing a combination of garments, hair accessories and jackets created from a combination of deadstock fabrics, custom printed textiles and found notions. All of the pieces are one of a kind. The hair accessories are produced in small batches and

available on a rotating schedule.


You can see more of Bianca's work and purchase it at her website:

You can purchase tickets for the event at our website:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artists From The Mill At Shady Lea

CALL FOR ENTRIES: "Landscape at the Edge: Contemporary Views"

Repost regarding installation at Providence Place Mall