#Meettheartists

Meet Michelle Vezina Peterlin
"I make art because it is a vital to me as breathing."

Tell us your artist story, some biographical info, when did you decide to be an artist? Why do you make art? Where did you study? Etc.

I was born and raised in Gardner, Massachusetts.  I have wanted to be an artist since as long as I can remember.  I was noticed and placed in accelerated art programs from elementary school through high school.   There are about 8 other artists in my family.  I have been a freelance artist for over 25 years.

I have a degree in Studio Art from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst.

I make art because it is a vital to me as breathing.  I am always exploring color, forms and shape.  I am curious by nature and I capture images, ideas and memories within my paintings.

What do you want people to walk away with after experiencing your work?

My paintings, whether they are botanical, still life or portraits,  are made to emerge the viewer into the scene they are viewing.  I strive to create an allegorical scene where the viewer can create their own narrative.

What influences your work? Why?

I am influence by many things, mainly color and form.  In my portraits, both of these elements come together.  In my portraits, I strive to capture an intimate moment and show something that captures the essence of the subject and make it something that the viewer can related to.  I want to celebrate the gift of life whether its ordinary or exceptional.

What does it mean to you to participate in Hera an exhibiting artist for the In God We Trust exhibition?

The topic of the in God We trust exhibit is so important.  I believe in the American right of the freedom of speech and the freedom to worship.  There are so many factions trying to infringe upon these rights.  We must do everything we can to preserve because they are universal human rights and without them we have nothing.

The Garden

Rachel's Daughter

A Mess of Fish

To view more of Michelle's work, visit her website: http://www.michellevezinapeterlin.com/index.htm



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artists From The Mill At Shady Lea

CALL FOR ENTRIES: "Landscape at the Edge: Contemporary Views"

Repost regarding installation at Providence Place Mall